Thursday, February 5, 2009

My Stash

After reading other blogs who are participating in Sew Mama Sew "Tell us about your stash" I thought I should participate. Here are my answers to her questions:

  • What do you usually sew?
I just established a "quilters nook" in my bedroom. For Christmas I got a new sewing machine and sewing table and they fit perfectly in a nook in my bedroom. My stash however is in the basement (2 floors down). I sew quilts.... I have sewn pajama pants, that was fun, but I love making quilts!
  • When you shop for fabric, what size cuts do you usually buy? (i.e. If you see something beautiful, but you don’t have a use for it right away, how much do you buy?)
I usually go for whole yards of something I don't have plans for. I do this because I'm so afraid I won't have enough when it comes time to use it.
  • Do you buy on impulse or do you go out looking for something you need?
Both. I will go shopping for something I need and find impulse buys. I love looking at the sale fabrics while I'm there.
  • Are you a pre-washer? If you are, do you wash your fabric before you need it, or only when you’re ready to use it?
I've read about the pro's and con's about pre-washing. I have the fraying that happens. I also hate pressing all the wrinkles out. So I do not pre-wash. I think that today's fabrics don't run as much. I also use a Color Catcher in the wash when I do wash my quilts and that collects any colors that might run.
  • Do you iron it?
I try to remember to... other wise my quilts have creases in the fabrics.
  • How do you sort it? (color, print size, collection, etc.)
I have it sorted mostly by color or type of fabric. If I have certain fabrics for a specific quilt project I keep that together.
  • Do you have any special folding techniques?
Nope - didn' t even know there were techniques to folding fabric. I just want it to fit in my cabient so I guess my technique would be to fold it so it fits!
  • How do you store your fabric?
For the most part, in a converted gun cabinet. This cabinet was my mother-in-laws and it was a gun cabinet which was converted to hold and display fabric. I love the glass door so you can see through at all my fabric (although after seeing other stash's I don't have that much). Some of my fabric for special projects I store in plastic bins.

  • What tips do you have for building up a well-rounded stash?
Look for fabrics that can be used for many different projects, like plain colors to match prints. Also - have lots of what you love.
  • When do you say enough is enough?
I don't but my wallet and my cabinet say enough is enough.
  • What are some of your favorite stash-busting projects?
Quilts - scrappy quilts. I need to de-stash so I think a scrappy quilt is next in line!
  • Do you have a current favorite print in your stash? Let’s see it!
I love purples and I love my bee fabric collection (for my current project the Bee Quilt)

  • What’s your definition of the perfect stash? (Consider sharing a picture or two of your stash & storage, or direct us to a pic on Flickr!)
Well organized, well folded, easy to get to, easy select from and most of all - full of fabric you love!

No comments: