Saturday, December 13, 2008

The Search Begins

I spent a good amount of time surfing the internet last night looking for information on sewing machines, particularly ones that can machine quilt.  There is so much information out there and so many different kinds of machines.

I stumbled upon a cute website called:

Quilt Bus, The Quilt Store that Comes to Your Door
www.quiltbus.com/sew.htm

They had a great page on what to consider buying a sewing machine.  After reading through that page and many more I decided to go to the Singer, Bernina, Brother and Pfaf webpages and see what they had to say.

After getting in my mind what models I like I started the shopping around.  I looked at several different webpages, comparison shopping, reading reviews, and narrowing my decision.  I believe I have narrowed it down to a Singer.  First of all I have a Singer and have had no problems what so ever with it.  Second of all, the prices are more realistic.  Third of all, I don't need a whole bunch of bells and whistles because I hardly sew clothing (except pajama pants) I will be using this for making quilts!  There were a couple things I was hoping to find in my price range, like it ending needle up, LCD screen, longer arm for holding the quilting projects, walking foot, 1/4 inch foot, drop feet and maybe needle threader.  I am leery of the needle threader, even though I think it's a great idea but I suspect it might take longer to use the needle threader than to just do it myself.

In reading reviews of a few machines on multiple web pages it was interesting to find out that my suspicions about the needle threader are true - several people commented that it was longer to use it than to just thread the needle themselves.  However, my family has a history of eye problems and my Grandma can no longer quilt because she can't see, so I suspect it would be a good thing for me to have a machine that will thread the needle for me - better than not sewing at all!

The search is on. 

2 comments:

Julia said...

I have a Bernina and I absolutely love it!!! It does have the needle threader, but I have never learned to use it. lol I just grab my little pair of reading glasses and they do the trick for me. :~)

Good luck on your search. I hope that you find the perfect fit for you!

Thanks for visiting my blog and for your kind words. I so appreciate them.

Anonymous said...

Be careful of the less expensive machines. Some of them have plastic components that can't stand up to a lot of use. When that piece breaks, it's often less expensive to buy a new machine than it is to repair the old one!

Consider buying used. If the old machine you like is made of metal, chances are it will last you longer than a cheap import.