Sunday, December 14, 2008

Got The Tree Up

I finally got the tree up yesterday!  I normally have it up the day after Thanksgiving.  However, this year we travelled to Ohio and celebrated Thanksgiving, Christmas and birthdays with family and friends for a week and I didn't get the decorations up until yesterday!

These are my precious boys this morning before church. (No I didn't let them eat candy before church!)  I was trying to snap a photo to stick in Christmas cards. Marty was suppose to try to get a family portrait for us to put in the cards and he ended up on the flu like illness list taking him out of commission.  So I hurried them through a short "here, stand by the tree, look like your happy" session.

We just have a pencil thin tree, nothing fancy.  I would like to go bigger but don't have room right now.  I asked Marty if he had any interest in a live tree this year and he quickly said no, so back to old faithful.

The quilt behind the tree was made with Christmas colors but is the quilt I made when Marty and I got married.  I put it out each Christmas since the colors go with the holiday, however, we didn't get married at Christmas I just choose those colors when I made the quilt.

I switched to putting LED lights on the tree this year and threw out all the other ones I had.  Since we've moved to Vermont I've learned so much about saving energy, replacing light bulbs with CFL's and recycling.  I also work with fire fighters and learned about regular lights getting too hot and that being one major reason there are so many home fires this time of year.  So we went safe with LED lights which don't get as hot.  I had purchased 3 strands (the normal amount for this tree).  However, while getting them out and putting them on the tree I realized they are MUCH shorter than my old lights.  So I had to bundle everyone up (it was single digits outside) and back to the store we went for 3 more strands.  I wasn't sure I would like the LED lights - I'm kind of old fashioned when it comes to Christmas trees.  But they look great - I'm glad I made the switch and I recommend you think about doing the same!

We are starting to look like Christmas around here now.  Wishing  you all a very Merry Christmas!

Beth




No comments: