Saturday, November 29, 2008

A Gift of Memories

This hand appliqued quilt is a beauty.  The finished top was given to me by my Great Aunt Mary (I've shared other quilts by her previously) who appliqued it herself.   This large queen size quilt top was conveniently already marked for quilting so all I had to do was put the layers together and start hand quilting.

I had not hand quilted a quilt this large with this much quilting on it before, but since I didn't have to worry about marking it and what design to do it went really fast. I found that quilting a quilt top with a sparse pattern and lots of open space is so much fun because you get it in your hoop and off you go.  There isn't a lot of stopping and starting.  I think someday I really want to hand quilt a whole cloth quilt.

I love the bright colors Aunt Mary used in this quilt.  I am assuming it was a kit and the fabrics probably came pre selected but I don't know that for sure.  I tried to follow up with the bright color theme on the back of this quilt.  I found a great bright fabric that was full of tulips.  This quilt really looks nice on either side of the quilt - I guess you could say it's reversible.  It's a great quilt for Spring time, it really brightens up the room. 

I love that this quilt is queen size.  Most of the older quilts that I have acquired were square and hardly fit a double bed.  This quilt top was probably made in the 60's or 70's as a guesstimate.  So to make it this large was a great feat!

Every time I sit down at my machine to piece a quilt, I think of the women who pieced their quilts by hand.  I know some fellow quilters still do.  I attempted this once very unsuccessfully.  I guess I like the built in 1/4 inch on my machine foot - that keeps me on the straight and narrow. 

I feel like I'm always crammed in a "nook" (hence the name of my blog) of our house somewhere and don't have room to spread my creative wings but maybe some day I will be able to have a dedicated space to release that inner creativity.    I find I love to browse other quilter's blogs and see their "studios" or work spaces, although I admit I do get jealous occasionally.  However, I remind myself that perhaps that quilter started in a "nook" as I did.  I also remind myself that generations of women made quilts in one room cabins and their workspace was probably a chair and a basket.  We sure have come a long way!

No comments: