Friday, October 17, 2008

My First Sale

This is the very first quilt I sold.  I worked at a restaurant in Akron, Ohio, for a while when my husband and I first were married.  They asked me to make them a wall hanging to display in the restaurant and wanted it blue and white.  This was also the first time I did the Log Cabin block.  It went together so easily and was lots of fun to do.  Originally I tried hand appliquéing a heart in the middle of this wall hanging but I was not pleased with it so I redid it without the heart.   As usual, I hand quilted it.  What a simple project!

I was so excited to actually receive money for doing something that I love to do.  I have sold a few baby quilts since but not many.  I would really like to get into making quilts to sell but I'm really nervous making a hobby into a job.  I'm afraid I won't be good at it or that I won't love quilting anymore.  Do any of you who do sell your quilts run across this?  Lots of books tell you to find something you love and then figure out a way to make money at it - but I'm afraid that I will stop loving to quilt if it becomes my job.  Any advice is welcome!

Have a great weekend!  We're taking our boys to a cub scout halloween festival tomorrow and that will be lots of fun!

2 comments:

Joyce said...

Thanks for posting on my blog. I know it's weird that I like to do binding, but I can sit on the couch and listen to tv and they keep me warm while I'm doing it.
Where in Ohio did you live? I love living in Ohio, but then I've never lived anywhere else.
Your quilts are lovely, I especially like the truck one!

Terry said...

Hi Beth! Thanks for stopping by my blog and leaving a comment! I saw that King Arthur won that award! How wonderful for them. I love their recipes! Great quilts you have on here! I see that you worked in Akron...is that where you lived? Have a great week!