Sunday, October 26, 2008

Grandma Cline's Quilt


Hello all, this is Marty - Beth's husband. I'm taking this moment to talk about my Grandma's quilt.

Growing up, my brother and I would spend weekends at Pap and Grandma's house. They owned a smallish farm that had a creek that flowed through it. Dirt and adventure abounded for small boys. During the evenings Grandma would make us all the popcorn we could eat while we watched TV. We'd sit in a brown overstuffed La-Z-Boy and cover ourselves with this quilt. The top is scratchy wool, but the back is soft cotton corduroys. It was my first memory of how comfortable of sitting in a chair with a blanket could be.

It's a simple quilt, tied, and probably made for utility rather and artistic expression. I have a memory of Grandma saying that it was made from old men's coats, which fits her style. (That generation knew what recycling really meant.) The top is scratchy wool that has aged well, while the back and edges have worn a bit making it even softer. Many of the ties are missing, but it's still warm. You can see more pictures by clicking on the slideshow on the right.

Grandma is gone now, but I have her quilt to remember her, and it still lays on my lap during cold evenings.

No comments: