Wednesday, October 29, 2008

Fabric Stores

Don't you just love fabric stores?  Well, I assume most of you reading this blog would say yes, but I know not everyone agrees with me, especially my kids.  I love being able to go to the fabric store and just take my time, surround myself with all the colors and textures and let the ideas flow.  Of course, that doesn't happen when you  have 2 little boys really not wanting to be there - or wondering if they can get candy "if they're good."  

Wyatt, my oldest, actually has picked up an interest in quilting and has made a few projects himself.  I usually just give him a large piece of fabric, layer it, and let him go.  His most recent project I have been teaching him to get his stitches smaller.  He really does do a good job and I love that even though I don't have a little girl to pass this quilting experience on to I can interest my son.

Back to fabric stores, here in Vermont, there are lots of small, fabric stores and I have only had the pleasure of visiting a few.  Usually if I am in a hurry I run to the ol' large chain fabric store because it's so close and I have the 2 sons with me.  However, on the rare occasion I have time to browse I love to go into the small shops.  

Most recently I went into "Sew Many Treasures" right in quaint Williston Village.  It is such a cute shop!  What I loved the most is on their shelving they had cute sayings that all had something to do with quilting or fabric.  How unique!  This store gives you such a warm and fuzzy feeling.  I love the fabric, all lined up by color, just makes me want to go crazy and do nothing but quilt.  

Last March I was in Chester, Vermont, and went to Country Treasures and was in fabric shop heaven!  What an awesome store!  (www.vermontquilting.com)  This store is huge - I thought I was in an unending store - it was just room after room after room with great sales!  I got so many neat ideas there of things I never saw before.  I could have spent all day in there and more than likely, I will be back.  I've seen great reviews of this store on other blogs as well.

There are many more shops I want/need to visit - if anything - so I can blog about them, right?



1 comment:

Clevelandgirlie said...

There is nothing more satisfying to a quilter/stitcher than visiting a cute little quilt shop. Some fabric shops are so sterile and commercial looking, but then you find that one little gem, with wooden floors, big windows, the smell of potpourri and lots and lots of cute stuff hanging on the walls. I can't think of anything I'd rather do.
Oh, and FYI if you find it hard to visit shops, here is a great quilt shop that is online, but I get to visit it in person because it's not far from where I live. But if you like retro prints, or Batik or Kaffe Fassette - or marbles, etc. I could go on and on - this place is amazing. It's called Wish Upon a Quilt. Just search for it and you'll find it. It's in Raleigh, North Carolina. Let me know if you visit it. They even have a virtual design wall so you can test combinations. I love it!