Wednesday, October 1, 2008

Antique vs. Vintage

Antique vs. Vintage.... that's my question. I wanted to know how to properly describe this quilt but I don't know the difference between antique and vintage. I went searching on the web and it really confused me even more. One site told me that antique was defined as being 100 years old or more and vintage are things made in the 1960's and 1970's. So what about those years in between? Then another site said that Antique is an item (furniture, quilt etc.) that is really old and vintage is a timeframe not an item. So I guess if I go by those standards then this is an antique quilt but by the previous standards this is not classifiable. If anyone knows for sure I would love for you to leave comment.

Anyway - this quilt was a treasure found in my parents home when they downsized. It was tucked away back in the corner of a closet (with others I will introduce in the future) and I had no idea it existed. Actually, neither did my Mom and therefore has no recollection of where it came from nor who made it. However, she does suspect maybe her maternal grandmother might have made it. Looking back in my genealogical files that dates this quilt being made somewhere in the late 1800's or early 1900's. If any of you are good at aging quilts - I would love your opinions.... including what pattern this is.

Another question I have for all my fellow quilters - why did they make quilts square? This is square and so are most of the ones I discovered and now have inherited. Were their beds square back then or were they just laid on top of a bedspread? I've asked this question to a few quilters and no one can give me an answer. I have not done any research on this and might if no one can answer this question.

Thanks!


No comments: